Sunday, June 13, 2010

PM&R- Your Health and Wellness Physician!

I am a Sports & Spine PM&R physician.  One challenge for me is that most patients (or other physicians) have absolutely no idea what that means.

The way I like to think about what I do is that I figure out what a patient wants to do, look at the barriers that prevent them from doing it, and develop strategies so that they can overcome those barriers and continue without limits.

What makes this challenging is that it is a totally different way of approaching medicine.  Instead of asking what's wrong with you and getting rid of it, I like to look at what is already awesome about you, and facilitate it.

One way I like to think about this is to imagine the best possible version of yourself.  What do you like about that version of yourself?   You're happier, more energetic, better looking, active, interact well with your friends and loved ones, can do whatever you need to do?

Now- what prevents you from being that best possible version of yourself all the time?

For most people, the main barrier is that it never even occurred to them to ask that question.

So, let me ask you- what prevents you from being the best possible version of yourself all the time?  Wouldn't be great to have a clinician who can work with you on developing those strategies.

That is what being a PM&R physician is all about.

No comments: