Sunday, June 27, 2010

Which world would you rather live in?

This blog is starting to evolve into something.  I wasn't sure where it was going when I first started writing it, but there is an underlying theme, which is ....

Creating the world that you want to live in.

When it comes to health, fitness, and wellness, we are all confronted with challenges and barriers, and have to make decisions.  Sometimes very hard decisions.

When it  comes to making hard decisions with Choice A and Choice B, I think it is helpful to think "if I am successful with either choice, which world would I rather live in- the world created by Choice A, or the world created Choice B."

I think when we make decisions with this type of global perspective, it leads to making better choices.

Sometimes these choices are relatively simple.  An example- shopping at the supermarket.  You may have a choice between buying high quality fresh ingredients to make a dinner that you know will be healthy, or buy something pre-prepared that will be more convenient.  Which will you choose?

I think the choice to eat healthy will usually be a better choice.  You may be saving yourself for time with buying the pre-prepared option, but you are also buying into a lifestyle decision- that your life is too hectic to prioritize your own health, enjoy the creation of your own meal, and for what?  What is so important that you don't have time?  Even if it's as simple as buying some fresh fruit or vegetables to prepare, that is an investment in your own health.

That's a relatively easy decision.  Some decisions are much harder.  I have a patient who inspires me every time I see him.  He was, for many years, part of the system (privacy prevents me from discussing details particular to his case).  But on one of our visits, we discussed what type of role model he wanted to be for his children, and he took that message to heart, and turned his life around.  He's not perfect, but he made the conscious, and very difficult decision, to start living the kind of life that he wanted to live in, and wanted his children to live in.

That's what being a hero is all about.

No comments: